Time for Whiteboard Wednesday. If you have time to watch the 4 min video, great!
If not, here are the key points:
Two concepts I want to explore.
- The 80/20 rule. Also known as the Pareto Principle, it says that most results are determined by a small number of causes. For example, most of your sales, 80% of your sales comes from 20% of your focused activities.
- The E to P concept from The One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan. E stands for Entrepreneurial. P stands for Purposeful. Entrepreneurial is the stuff that just comes naturally to you.
When you’re in entrepreneurial mode, you’re doing what comes naturally. Unfortunately, along with it comes a natural ceiling of achievement. The entrepreneurial path is as follows:
- You take with what comes naturally to you and you hit this natural ceiling at some point that you’re just not able to breakthrough.
- You experience some resignation.
- You search for greener pastures.
- Then, you go and you hit that ceiling again and you get frustrated and the cycle continues.
When you’re purposeful this is what happens:
- You get focused
- You implement models.
- You implement systms.
- You breakthrough.
When we look at the focus, you’ve got to focus on what you’re passionate and purposeful about. Passion is just the stuff that you’re interested in, something that you really can’t help but do. Purpose is how you serve the rest of the world with that.
Models and systems are all about action and consistency and failure and results and learning, so that you can have the breakthroughs.
What happens when you add these two concepts together, the 80/20 rule and the E to P rule?
Well, the way I look at is let’s try to have you be you 80% of the time, you naturally.
That other 20%, is going to help you breakthrough that natural ceiling, is about exploring new ideas, new relationships, new beliefs. It’s about exploring and implementing models and tools and systems. So the stuff that doesn’t come as naturally to you can come more easily because you systematize it and routinize it, so that you can feel in your gaps and have the breakthroughs that you’re looking for.
That’s how I do concept math. I take the 80/20 rule pair it with the E to P concept, so that you can figure out how to apply your time and energy.
I would love to hear how this could work for you.
Tell me more about how you’ve applied the 80/20 rule in your life or how you’ve noticed it in your life.
Tell me more about what you are like naturally and how when you’ve stretched beyond that and got into those uncomfortable places of doing the stuff that’s not quite as easy.
Please leave comments below because I would love to hear what else you want to know about, what other concepts you’d love to explore here on Whiteboard Wednesdays.